The Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) is a non-hormonal form of birth control that is over 99% effective when used correctly and 100% natural. You can read more about that in one of my previous posts called: What FAM Is and Why Use It
Like all contraceptives, FAM has pros and cons. Let's take a look at those in the table below and after that check out the list of all the benefits to using FAM as your birth control method.
As the table shows, there are several wonderful pros to using FAM; however, it may not be for everyone. Let's look at some more aspects of FAM to further explore if FAM is a good fit for you.
You may benefit from FAM if you are…
1. A woman who suffers from side-effects when using hormonal birth control (this includes all birth control that uses artificial hormones to prevent pregnancy from the pill to the patch, ring, shot, implant, and hormonal IUD).
2. A woman who wants to take back control of her health and reclaim her natural vibrancy.
3. A woman who dislikes taking medicine because she is more inclined to natural lifestyle.
4. A woman whose long-term partner wants to share responsibility and communication of birth control.
5. A woman with interest and time to put toward the initial learning process.
6. A woman who wants a no cost birth control (beyond initial learning fee, FAM is cost free).
Beyond the Pros, FAM is loaded with women-centered benefits!
As women, we are fortunate to have body signals that are continually changing and indicating the times of our fertility. By observing these signs, listening to our bodies and charting the information, we can know on any given day if we are fertile or infertile. The following is a short list of the benefits to using FAM and are what I perceive as icing on the cake!
- Like the table lists above, after the initial cost of a FAM workshop, a basic thermometer, and the cost to print charts, FAM is a NO COST natural birth control. Women can spend up to $1,689.87 per year on prescription birth control. Check what you spend here.
- FAM empowers women with confidence and knowledge as they fully learn and appreciate the natural ebbs and flows of their cycles.
- Charting daily allows women to keep an eye on their gynecological health and stay alert to potential issues such as irregular bleeding, abnormal pain, vaginal infections, cervical anomalies, and PMS. Staying in tune with one's body allows a woman to know when she needs to seek treatment or if her hormones just needs some TLC in the next cycle.
- For a couple trying to conceive, charting cervical fluid is a cheap way and easy way to optimize chances of conception.
- Charting fertility signs will indicate if a hormonal imbalance exists or how to identify if one has surfaced. A woman can go to her health practitioner with evidence of an imbalance and request care. It is important to engage with reproductive health at an early age so that if a woman is desires to conceive later on in life she is less likely to be delayed from blocks to fertility.
- Charting can be used to determine if a woman is pregnant (sooner than some pregnancy tests).
- FAM can be used to identify female infertility concerns such as: anovulation, late ovulation, short Luteal Phase, infertile cervical fluid, hormonal imbalance, insufficient progesterone levels, and miscarriage. If a fertility issue is due to a woman's hormonal imbalance, there are things she can do naturally to influence hormonal harmony once again. For more info on trying to conceive click here.
Still not sure if FAM is right for you? Let's have a FREE chat! We can talk on the phone or via video chat to further discuss your questions, concerns, and comments. Contact me here to sign up for a free chat today!
*Use of a barrier method during the fertile wave means that you are using that barrier method (i.e. condom, diaphragm) to prevent pregnancy and are therefore depending upon the effectiveness of that barrier, not the effectiveness of FAM.